Thursday, September 10, 2009

One Week in Season Preview

I am not a big fan of predicting a season before it starts. How can you possibly predict where a team is going to be 8 games into a season when you haven't seen them play a snap? I choose to cheat and see a game before trying to make my decisions.
This is by no means flawless, after UCLA's win over Tennessee last year and UW's near upset of BYU, I was confident in UCLA's ability in that game (which I have since erased from my memory).
With that said, here are my admittedly optimistic predictions for the ongoing UCLA season.

UCLA @ Tennessee:
This game could go either way. I like UCLA, I like Chow, I do not like Kiffin.
UCLA 24 Tenn 20

UCLA vs KSU
KSU looked BAD. Prince and the O-line have 2 games under their belt, this game is not close.
UCLA 35 KSU 10

UCLA @ Stanford
I like Stanford more than most this year. Harbaugh is a great coach (who will not be there much longer), but Neuheisel and Chow are better. Stanford has a lot of young talent, UCLA is also young but more talented.
UCLA 24 Trees 17

UCLA vs Oregon
I would have picked UCLA to lose this game a week ago, but this is where seeing a game before making your predictions helps. Blount is out, and overall they were unimpressive. UCLA moves to 5-0.
UCLA 24 Quacks 17

UCLA vs Cal
Cal looked good in their opener, but they cannot rely on making the big play all year (especially on the road). They need to control the line pf scrimmage better, and they have not done that at all on the road. This series has gone to the home team since Tedford has been at Cal (regardless of talent disparity) and I don't pick this year as the one to break that streak.
UCLA 20 Cal 17

UCLA @ Zona
I wish I had another game to go off for Zona. Can't take away much from their game, especially since it wasn't televised. Zona LOVES to spoil UCLA's seasons. Their season could very much rest on this game. UCLA probably will have a loss that I didn't predict by this point anyways, so I might as well pick this upset.
Zona 24 UCLA 17

UCLA @ OSU
OSU is rebuilding more than people realize. Jacuzzi is still really good, but once Price rocks him once in the backfield, he won't be quite as shifty the rest of the game.
UCLA 21 BEAVERS 14

UCLA vs UW
UW really impressed me. If this game was at UW, I would be thinking of a possible upset. It is not, I am not.
UCLA 27 UW 17

UCLA @ WSU
Practice game.
UCLA 42 WSU 0 (why not?)

UCLA vs ASU
ASU is overrated. Carpenter graduated after 15 years there (you know it felt like he was there that long)
UCLA 28 ASU 14

I will not predict U$C yet. Right now I'm thinking it will be a loss.

Since I was admittedly optimistic on those predictions and UCLA very easily could lose at OSU, Tenn, or to Cal, I will say UCLA will be 9-2 going into $C.

7 comments:

  1. mattross, that's a picture of last yr's squad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So we beat Cal, Oregon, but lose to Arizona? Alright, I'm down

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9-2 is a ridiculous prediction, I say 5-7 including $c

    ReplyDelete
  4. after we beat TN, and we r 2-0 the road looks a little more promising. I still think tops we go 8-4 total, probably 7-5.

    ReplyDelete