Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Limits of Heckling

Earlier today as I was doing my daily browsing of sports website, I came across a pretty entertaining piece on Yahoo! Sports. The subject? JJ Redick. The story? North Carolina fans heckling him even though he's been in the NBA for four years now. This was music to my ears because as anyone who's read this blog can tell you, I hate Duke. Since Mr. Redick was the face of the Blue Devils for four years earlier this decade, I cannot help but spite him. However, I couldn't help myself but feel sorry for the guy. He was saying how in college, aside from all the cursing that has been thrown his way, people started calling out his family.

I'm sorry, but you cannot start yelling stuff about a player's family unless it is relavent. When is it relavent? When their sibling played the sport. For example, UCLA fans chanting "Josh is better" at Jarren Shipp or Cal fans yelling "Joe is better" at Josh Shipp. If a player's family has nothing to do with the sport, don't involve them. Furthermore, if people make reference to a family member's sexual orientation, race, marital status, or whatever it may be, is a clear no no. Along those lines, making sexual references at a 12 year old sister? Really? Come on guys. It's ok to poke fun at the friend with the hot friend, but if she's not old enough to drive, you shouldn't even joke about it. That is what disturbed me by watching Redick's video. I mean, having people tell you to "F off" is one thing, but talking about sex with your 12 year old sister? That's just really sick. At that point the fun and games end and ground control really is needed. Actually, control is needed probably once family member references/names are mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment