Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Day Later... He's Still a Douche

I told myself I would wait a day from the end of the game until the time that I started to vent about this. I figured I should let my emotions cool off a little bit after seeing all of the nonsense transpire in person. Yes, I was down on the "sidelines" (because U$C makes opposing fans/bands/etc sit on the like -15 yard line), and go to see the classless thugs that is U$C bandwagon fans go crazy. Oops! I meant players and coaches. With less than a minute left, Neuheisel called a time-out after Barkley took a knee. To me, that's saying "I'm not going to surrender and show my team I don't have the fight in me" from Neuheisel. Maybe it was not the most appropriate thing to do, but this thing is done commonly by coaches when they are down a score or two towards the end of the game. What happened afterwards is where things turned ugly.

"Coach" Pete Carroll and his OC decided to not only run a play for a first down but wait for it, for a touchdown. Yes, a 48 yard pass down the middle to Damian Williams who had to go less than five yards for the score. This wasn't a let's show 'em by getting a first down and maybe more, but straight up in-your-face bomb. This should not be a surprise to anyone who has been following Pac-10 football since Pete Carroll took over at U$C. His hypocracy is amazing. He whines about his quarterbacks getting hit, but is there to defend Overrated Player of the Year Taylor Mays for his slew of late cheap-shots. And most importantly, about running up the score. Remember when the Trees from Palo Alto tried going for two points to hang 50 (which eventually they did) in South Central only two weeks ago? If you think I am too much of a UCLA homer, lets examine what some people outside of UCLA have to say about this incident:

From Seth Davis of SI: "It's official: Pete Carroll is a no-class lowlife. Does he have any notion he is supposed to be an educator?"

From Arash Markazi (U$C alum) of SI: "Consensus amongst many level headed USC fans: More embarrassed by rub-it-in TD and taunting than the Stanford game."

From Cal alum Gordon C.: "Pete Carroll is an asshole, plain and simple. Absolutely ZERO class or sportsmanship."

From George Schroeder of The Register Guard: "USC coach Pete Carroll showed no class in throwing deep for a TD with less than a minute left against UCLA."

Yeah, so while Trojans and dumb LAT columnists keep trying to spin this off, it seems like a national consensus seems to be to the contrary.

Let's hope for a Beaver win this Thursday and a "Bearing Down" by the Wildcats at the Coliseum to send U$C where it belongs.

Stay classy U$C!

3 comments:

  1. http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-plaschke29-2009nov29,0,5628166.column
    excellent reporting

    ReplyDelete
  2. First poster just called a Plaschke piece "excellent reporting". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to add the quotes or the *sarcasm*, my apologies

    ReplyDelete