Saturday, January 30, 2010

Georgetown Exposes Duke

So as I woke up this morning tired and trying to figure out what exactly happened last night, I checked my phone and saw a text from my dear friend Shelley Murveit at Georgetown saying she was pissed off at me for texting her in the wee hours of the morning on the East Coast. Obviously, she was probably not angry that, but because she had to wake up super early (7am) to day drink and watch her Hoyas take on those Dukies. Either way, it reminded me that instead of being angry at the world (I also have a midterm in two days) I should watch the top-10 contest between the two schools. As I turned the TV on about half way through the first half, I smiled. Duke was getting owned. Luckily for me, this didn't change until the last minute of the game, but by then, no one cared. Georgetown exposed Duke once again as an over-hyped, crappy, and ultra-vanilla basketball team. Greg "Craig" Monroe destroyed anyone Duke had to offer, including foul machine Lance Thomas (seriously, every game I watch he's in foul trouble, like Alfred Aboya circa 2008). Wright, Georgetown's point guard was terrific in distributing and showing how one of the best Jewish players (Jon Scheyer) in college basketball is probably not as good as Dick Vitale would like you to think he is. Actually he did score 17 points, but on 5-13 shooting, or as UCLA fans call it, a Drago line or kind of like this guy:


While the basketball was obviously the biggest attraction of the game, Barack "Lefty" Obama was courtside with his VP Joe Biden taking the game in. He did not really show any favoritism either way, which I think is smart. As he was being interviewed by the CBS guys, he laughed at his bodyguard Reggie Love, a former Duke player. He also mentioned a few key things, and broke down fellow Lefty Monroe's pretty spin move in the lane (including a right handed finish!). This sideshow however did not distract yours truly from enjoying a Duke team get destroyed. Ironically, Coach K used the "Stanford line-up" (3 white guys) as opposed to the "Duke line-up" (4 white guys) and it still did not help. Probably because Nolan Smith was feeling the home jitters as he was playing in his hometown, but I don't buy it. Of course, those could be the same jitters Duke players felt in 2007-2009 as they failed to move past the sweet-sixteen. But hey, at least we found out from this game that Georgetown is for real (unlike Duke), and could make a serious run at the final four. I guess that VP Biden agrees...

No comments:

Post a Comment